JOB ANNOUNCEMENT: PUBLICATIONS COORDINATOR
The mission of the American Historical Society of Germans from Russia (AHSGR) is to discover, collect, preserve, and share the history, cultural heritage, and genealogical legacy of Germanic Settlers in the Russian Empire.
Founded in 1968, we have 3,000 members worldwide, a museum campus with replica buildings and artifacts of German Russian heritage, a robust publishing program, and a research library that houses the largest collection of German Russian ancestral records and documents in the Western Hemisphere.
You are invited to learn more about us at: ahsgr.org
Responsible for AHSGR publications and outreach materials and works with staff, board members, editors, authors, reviewers, and printing firms
This position serves as the primary staff person responsible for AHSGR publications and reports to the AHSGR Executive Director. In carrying out their responsibilities, the person will also work directly with the Editorial and Publications Committee Chair on issues and problems related to AHSGR publications and follows established published policies and procedures. This person will also work interactively and cooperatively with other AHSGR staff members and volunteers. Publications published by AHSGR include books and monographs, the AHSGR Journal, the AHSGR Newsletter, Jugendzeitung (our Youth Publication), Clues, and an annual convention booklet and program. In working on these publications, the Publications Coordinator will work with assigned managing editors, authors, reviewers, and the responsible printing firm. The person in this position is responsible for maintaining necessary records on publications and advising the Executive Director and Editorial and Publications Chair of opportunities, issues, and problems related to AHSGR publications.
The following specific responsibilities are included:
- Responsible for all AHSGR publications (online and print) including editing, layout, and working with authors, editorial boards, and board committee chairs
- Helps prepare monographs and village records for publication and sale and works with print-on-demand company to produce and ship AHSGR-copyrighted books
- Writes and distributes news releases and emails promoting AHSGR events and activities
- Creates brochures, programs, postcards, and advertising for print and electronic distribution
- Assists board committee in the review and approval of items considered for the AHSGR store, works with staff on store stocking and inventory, and updates and maintains online store
- Helps with updates, changes, and additions to content on the AHSGR website and with the creation of social media graphics and content, particularly as related to AHSGR publications
- Assists board committee with an annual storytelling contest and provides technical and promotional support of virtual lecture series
- Develops strategies to share, and invite inquiry into, the German-Russian story
- Serves on staff teams providing vision and oversight for visitor/member engagement and exhibition (online and in-person) planning
- Answers the telephone, greets museum visitors, and helps give tours when needed
- Provides logistical and organizational support during the annual convention (online and/or in-person)
An undergraduate degree plus a minimum of two years of experience in writing, editing, page design and layout, and online and print publications.
- Demonstrated experience with editing and publishing software, particularly InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator, and Adobe Acrobat Pro
- Skills with photo/image editing and associated software
- Experience with the Microsoft Office Suite, Canva, and WordPress
- Excellent organizational skills, experience prioritizing workflows, and attention to detail
- Adaptability and the ability to work positively and collaboratively with board members, volunteers, the staff team, and the public
- Full-Time position, Monday-Friday, some flexibility in work schedule
- Occasional evening and weekend events/meetings
- Occasional same day or overnight travel
SALARY AND BENEFITS
- $19 per hour
- Accruing PTO and paid holidays, paid leave Christmas through New Year’s Day, retirement plan with employer match, healthcare/insurance premium allowance
Resumes must be received by February 14, 2024. Email cover letter, resume, and a writing/design sample in PDF format or via an online link to firstname.lastname@example.org using the job title and your name in the subject line (example:Publications_ Sally Smith). All attachments should include your name in the file name (example: Sally Smith_Resume). Interviews will be scheduled for late-February.